Research Ethics at UoF
UoF Research Ethics Policy recognizes that the responsibility for maintaining ethical conduct lies, in the first instance, with researchers themselves. If researchers do not take responsibility for the ethical conduct of their own research, defensible research ethics will be an unrealizable goal. To this end, responsibility for operating UoF Ethics Review Procedure, is devolved to academic departments and funding units. Within this devolved framework, UoF recognizes that diversity enriches and strengthens its research culture and performance. Diversity means that research activities involving human participants and personal data may differ widely from one department or funding unit to another. Thus the ethical issues relating to human participation in research may also differ considerably from one academic department or funding unit to another.
This means that the formal ethical review of research proposals involving human participants and personal data is best carried out within departments.
The University of Fujairah considers research activities and outcomes as leading academic activities that support innovation and entrepreneurship and enforce improvement and continuous development through all academic programs and community engagement activities.
- Build research infrastructure (library, laps, databases…etc.) and the research institutional framework within the organizational structure of the university.
- Enhance community’s employer engagement and institutional engagement. Also, enhance linkages with research institutions locally, regionally and internationally.
- Develop research activities in some specific areas following priorities 1 and 2.
- Develop a research support scheme.
- To enhance research resources including databases, library and laps.
- To develop graduate programs in Business Administration, Media Sciences and Social Studies.
- To comprehend on community engagement and services and create sound linkages with research institutions.
- To foster research activities in different colleges following community needs.
- To develop a research support scheme (financial support, promotion, ….. etc.)
Programs and Actions
- Update library resources (books, journal, and databases).
- Equip library with necessary physical and technological facilities.
- Design and offer master degree programs in different colleges.
- Prepare and activate multilateral agreements with business community and research units in other local, regional and international universities and institutions.
- Restructure and support the Center for Continuing Education.
- Organize an annual conference.
- Publish the University Research Journal.
- Create an Annual Award for Best Academic Research at the university.
- Design a Financial-Support-System to finance academic research.
- Prepare and implement a Research Publication System.
- Create a Research Unit within the organizational structure of the university (Research Deanship).
- A well-equipped digital library
- The UoF’s Academic Journal
- An Annual Academic Conference
- Locally Published textbooks
- 80 Academic Researched Papers during the five years of the plan
- Diversified Graduate Academic Programs
- A functional framework for university-community engagement
Action Plan (2016/2017 )
Research Areas (Priorities):
- Academic researches
The strategic priority centers around academic research that contribute to academic development and enhancement of academic programs, and those research topics that satisfy the personal academic interests of the faculty members.
- Contractual researches
Research topics that serve the objective of enhancing community engagement
- Students Researches
Distinguished research works by students, particularly capstone projects
Research Areas Detailed
College of Business Administration:
- Leadership and Organizational Change
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Strategic Management
- Tourism Management
- The Efficiency of the Stock Market in the UAE
- Investment Analysis
- Real Estate Investment
College of Mass Communication
- Multimodal Communication in the UAE
- Media Organization
- Media Use among Children
- Digital Media
- Public Relations
College of IT:
- Artificial intelligence and robotics
- Computer-assisted education
- Data Mining
- Human-computer interaction
Providing research support services is the key administrative function in UoF University that is dedicated to build up a new research capacity and to maintain continued growth in its ongoing research capacity that will maximize the impact of that research through knowledge transfer and related activities. The University is seeking to increase financial resources allocated to support scientific research. Substantial efforts shall be made to select qualified faculty members capable of conducting high quality research.
UoF provides the following forms of research support:
- Financial support to researchers that covers travel, conference registration fees, reviews, software, publication fees, and other related expenses.
- Increase the number of funded research proposals supported by the University.
- Publication of a faculty research handbook and a detailed account of research activities by the Deanship of Graduate Studies and Scientific Research.
- Instituting annual awards for outstanding research work at the university level.
- Assist individual researchers locating and applying for suitable funding for their ideas from other funding agencies.
Research Policies & Procedures
- FU has a research strategic plan.
- The Dean of Graduate Studies and Scientific Research is responsible for the management of research. This, of course, includes provision of research support and the exercise of institutional-level responsibilities and functions in accordance with relevant University policies and regulations. In addition, the dean prepares and implements the annual budget for the research.
- Research policies and procedures can be outlined as:
- The research policy shall apply to all faculty members of the University, and other users of University resources.
- Research support is provided both for sustaining and promoting the research activities of established researchers, as well as for the development of budding researchers.
- Requests for support of research projects or activities are evaluated on the merits of the proposal, the merits of the applicant, the need for research capacity development, and the need to sustain existing research activities or capacity.
- All researchers and scholars are required to undertake research. In turn, the University is committed to support all research with appropriate resources where necessary.
- Researchers are free to conduct research in any area, provided that they adhere to the University’s ethical principles.
- The University takes into account issues adhere to national, regional, and international priorities.
- All faculty members are required to conduct research, and engage in scholarship and to publish their findings.
- Encourage cooperation of individuals with a broad range of expertise and the use of a wide variety of materials and equipment.
FU provides faculty members with a formal process for ongoing evaluation and improvement of their program and faculty development outcomes, a process by which faculty, students and administration can work together in advancing the educational institution's mission. To promote research activities, the rules of promotion system and renewing contracts are designed to reflect the quality of performance in appropriate research, teaching, and community engagement. From the view point of AAU, the scholarly work honored is limited to working papers, proceedings, eventually refereed journal articles, and edited volumes. Research expectations will vary according to discipline and individual faculty preferences. The following list outlines some general faculty expectations:
- An individual faculty member is expected to have at least one refereed scholarly work per academic year
- Each faculty member must demonstrate the ability to work independently by submitting at least two sole author publications for promotion to associate professor or professor rank.
- Faculty members are given credit for coauthored work, but there is a clear expectation that the faculty member should have contributed significantly to the production of a given article.
- Each faculty member should have his or her own research agenda, and that research agenda should be connected to his field of specialty. Faculty members who do not have such a research agenda are simply not meeting their responsibility to the University.
- Because of the University’s commitment to accreditation, the management of the University is committed to an interpretation of scholarly growth consistent with the standards of accreditation standard.
Research cooperation shall help UoF utilizes research resources effectively; especially that some resources have often not been used in University partnerships. The research strengths can be integrated more fully into partnerships with communities in the following forms:
- Cooperation with other Universities: The University encourages field specific partnerships with national and international universities and research institutions to develop and extend research quality, recognizing that these should be based on mutual benefit. In addition, work with neighboring research focused institutions is also encouraged.
- Cooperation between University and Industry: UoF shall play an important role in conducting Research and Development R&D activities sponsored by different businesses and industries in the region and the UAE.
- Cooperation with Public Sector: The University encourages research cooperation with the public sector that includes collaboration through joint research projects, sponsored research, consultation and expert assistance. Other important forms of cooperation include participation in conferences and workshops arranged by government and non-governmental organizations as well. Graduate students are also encouraged to conduct research related to public interest.