The University of Fujairah (UoF) is semi government non-for-profit institution which was established as Fujairah College (FC), and received its institutional license on April 1, 2006 from the Commission for Academic Accreditation, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (CAA-MOHESR). On September 1, 2006, UoF started to offer the first two associate degrees in business administration and information technology programs. On June 1, 2016, the CAA-MOHESR granted its university license with the vision of the Board of Trustees (BOT) to elevate its status as a higher learning institution, and provide higher education programs among citizens of Fujairah.
In June 2007, the Centre for Continuing Education and Executive Development (CCEED) was established with the advocacy of the Honorable Saeed Ben Muhammad Al-Raqabani, Chairman of the BOT, to enrich the knowledge and skills of the community. The commitment of UoF to render outreach programs, in addition to academic programs, was heralded in the entire city and nearby emirates.
Aware of its responsibility to contribute to the intellectual, economic and social development of the community, UoF engineered the two-year expansion of the business and information technology diploma programs to Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT). In September 2010, upon approval by the CAA, the university started to offer BBA in three major areas: business administration (general), human resource management, and, banking and finance; and, BIT with major areas in: networking and security; and internet and e-commerce. The university was steadfast to expand its curricular programs by adding another two undergraduate programs: Bachelor of Arts in Arabic Language and Literature (BAALL); and, Bachelor of Mass Communication and Public Relations (BMCPR). In 2021, The university has added the College of Health Sciences offering Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
With the institutionalization of the 2016-2020 Strategic Plan, below are the five priorities identified. Most of these priorities are implemented, and some are accomplished:
- Maximize the use of technology to provide good quality higher education opportunity for every potential student in the region (Fujairah and the East Coast of the UAE) and beyond.
- Extend education excellence through:
- Enhancing existing academic programs
- Initiating new graduate and undergraduate programs to effectively participate in the process of fostering innovation, entrepreneurship and business leadership.
- Diversifying learning opportunities for potential students in the region and beyond
- Improving teaching and enhancing diversity of the student body
- Assuring continuous professional development for all employees (faculty, staff and administration)
- Enhance community engagement by maximizing FU-community mutual benefits through the enhancement of institutional and employer engagement.
- Foster a vibrant, successful and interactive research community that generates ideas and discoveries creates new fields of knowledge and makes a difference to the social, cultural, environmental, and economic development of Fujairah and the UAE.
- Enhance campus Culture for service excellence.
The UoF operationalizes the strategic priorities, in June 2016, by restructuring its academic affairs into four colleges: College of Business Administration; College of Mass Communication and Public Relations; College of Information Technology; and, College of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities.
The expansion of the undergraduate programs to graduate programs particularly the Master of Business Administration (MBA) has started in October 2016, by virtue of CAA’s accreditation effective September 18, 2016.
Furthermore, policies and procedures have enhanced, and the processes of academic accreditation for new graduate programs have started, while efforts are underway to establish the College of Engineering in collaboration with the University of the United Arab Emirates.